"The Osmo Camera that FONS bought us is amazing! With it we can come up with shots
that would have been impossible with other cameras." Aldo Bacallao, Broadcasting Teacher
"The colored paper makes is a lot easier for students to locate assignments and work and not overlook it. They all tell me the enjoy the system because it makes it easier to keep up with work and keep it organized." Kristie Zachary, Language Arts
"Thank you for the grant to purchase a subscription to Edhelper. In using Edhelper, there's no place better to go for a quick warm-up, reading comprehension or review on a specific topic. There is a plethora of subject concepts and they are on the mark with a lot of historical, science, and civic government information. The material is available for multiple reading levels and targets classroom instruction that allows for differentiated activities based on student abilities."
Pat Heys, ELL teacher
"The hive classroom allows us to create a flexible space for students to fully engage in dynamic and innovative constructivist education. Because of the mobile boards, students are already exhibiting mastery to proficiency in initiating and participating in a range of collaborative discussions." Erin King, Language Arts Teacher
"We use the book Forty Studies that Changed Psychology all the time. Before we had some old version and some new version books so it was hard to follow from version to version. Now we are all on the same page!" student Sarah Liess. This book covers psychology research results and methodologies.
Thank you and FONS so much! It was amazing seeing these seniors enact their physics knowledge, plan out labs on the spot with full physical justifications (especially safety considerations within acceptable error bounds), and test the limits of their own knowledge. And that couldn’t have happened in such an interesting venue or with such enthusiasm without the support and encouragement of FONS. Seniors that exempted their final even elected to come in and participate in the challenge today. Thank you for keeping North Springs so great! Zachary Luna, Physics Teacher
The first picture shows Strap-on Venipuncture Manikins for use in the certified clinical medical assistant certification. In the second picture, Madison Kerper and Katie Stewart show off their new t-shirts thanks to HOSA sponsor Kaiser Permanente's donation. Graphic's teacher Cam Lupiani designed the shirts which 69 students will wear when they head to the 2016 State Leadership Conference to compete. The back of the shirt lists all 8 sponsors including FONS!
FONS supported the FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) by purchasing blazers, patches, scarves, and ties so the students can have a professional look when competing. The first photo is of the 2016 NSCHS winners at the State Competition. The second photo are those students going on to Nationals.
3 studio lights were purchased for Broadcast and Video classes in Career and Tech Education. "Wow, can it get any better than this!" said teacher Aldo Bacallao.
Thank you all so much for the new DSLK cameras, memory cards and camera bags for the Web and Digital pathway students! They (and me) are very excited to use them! The support that your organization and the leaders I've been honored to work with provide for me and our entire school is invaluable. We could not provide for our students like we do without you. Thanks you! Sallie Holloway, Interactive Media and Computer Science
The Senior Class thanks you for the grant to purchase umbrellas and stands for the Senior Courtyard. Your support and generosity is greatly appreciated! Sincerely, Margaret Turner, Class President
The Entrepreneurship class in the CTE Pathway was awarded a loan to enhance the Plato Lab where The Juice Joint is located. Smoothies have been a very popular lunch alternative for students (and some teacher and staff).
On behalf of the 9th grade ELA Team, we want to thank you for granting us two new books to use this Spring. We are thrilled to introduce new material to the kids and see engagement levels increase as well as simple enjoyment of reading. We truly appreciate not only the gift of the novels, but also the support. Kristie Zachary, Christine Pekatos, Sheena Middlebrooks, Cassie Graeff, Jill McEachern, and Darrell Howard.
The Yearbook staff would like to thank you so much for our new cameras. They will be very helpful for us in the coming years. We cannot wait to make good use of them! The 2015-2016 Yearbook Staff
Our new AVID furniture has allowed us to transform our learning environments into what looks like kindergarten for big kids! The bright, colorful tables and chairs not only breathe new excitement into our students, it has also made collaboration and transitioning from one activity to the next so much simpler. We believe that learning should be engaging and stimulating and, thanks to FONS, our new furniture is helping us do just that! Amanda Lee Williams, AVID Teacher
Early in the 2015-2016 school year, a grand piano was donated to the Music Department. FONS designated funds paid for the transport of the piano. In addition, Van Craven requested 20 headphones for students to use with the keyboards as they practiced.
The FONS grant of a class set of heavy duty stereo headphones for my two piano classes has not only made things much more manageable for me but has allowed each student to work independently and in a differentiated manner. Many students had very cheap light earbuds which simply didn’t give them enough volume or would only give them sound out of one ear. With piano you have to hear both sides of the piano. The students are able to work without shame or worry about how they sound to their peers while they practice. I am so grateful we have an organization that puts our student’s needs first. Without these headsets, chaos would consume the classroom. It is a noisy place and with the headsets you can hear music now instead of chaos. Thank you FONS. William Van Craven
55" HD TV with wall mount to help with real time broadcasts, self-assessment and feedback for student generated video projects
Helped fund workshops with PTO so high achiever juniors have access to certified educational consultants who will assist with resume formation, college essay and interview preparation, and provide guidance through the college planning and application process
I want to personally thank you for your dedication and commitment to our students here at North Springs. The students are so excited about getting the reference books so they start studying and preparing for the HOSA competition. Thank you again for making this wonderful opportunity available to our students. Kindest Regards, Paulette Diener
Teacher Grants Approved - Spring 2016
March 2016- FONS is pleased to award funding for the following grant applicants. FONS thanks our faculty for taking the extra time to enhance the educational opportunities at NSCHS.
- Music: 20 pre-sonus recording kits which include software, microphone, and 2 octave digital keyboard to support a new music technology class
- CTE: Two camcorders to support the Freshman Success Skills classes
- CTE Broadcasting: DSLR Canon T6i video camera to improve broadcast quality and professional training
- CTE Health Sciences: AED trainer package, infant CPR manikins, and materials to assist medical assistant pathway
- FBLA: Clothing to support students attending local, state, and national competitions
- Science: Dry spirometer and 5 wrist cuffs to conduct laboratory exercises in the Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Science: Chemicals for student chemistry labs
- Social Studies: “Forty Studies that Changed Psychology” books (13) that can be checked out to improve students’ understanding of psychology research results and methodologies. This will make a complete class set.
Teacher Grants Approved - Fall 2015
October 2015 - FONS is pleased to award funding for the following grant applicants. FONS thanks our faculty for taking the extra time to enhance the educational opportunities at NSCHS.
- Spanish: 70 copies of Esperanza Rising novel in Spanish to improve understanding, comprehension and vocabulary
- Spanish: 35 Spanish/English dictionaries to help students complete assignments such as composing skits, conversations and other writing tasks
- Math: 32 copies of The Number Devil to help students make connections between mathematics, literature and life.
- CTE Health Sciences: Strap-on Venipuncture Manikin for use in the certified clinical medical assistant certification
- 800 Club: Provide paper for practice SAT tests for students with financial needs
- Theater Department: Along with Theater Booster, provide stage lighting equipment for the Blackbox Theater
- Broadcasting: 3 studio lights so students can practice lighting techniques and produce well-lit videos
- Broadcasting: 55" HD TV with wall mount to help with real time broadcasts, self-assessment and feedback for student generated video projects
- Yearbook: 2 Samsung Red WB1100F Smart Cameras with 16.2 Megapixels and 35x Optical Zoom so students can take high quality photos
- English: 3 classroom sets (96 books) of A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier and of The Glass Castle: A Memoir to improve reading and critical thinking skills
- AVID: Collaborative classroom tables and chairs for 2 classrooms to enhance peer collaboration and allow a variety of arrangements depending on the educational needs
- Senior Class: Umbrellas and stands to make the courtyard more usable and pleasant looking
- 20 Barron’s AP Art History 3rd edition to help students prepare for the Art History AP exam
- Along with PTO and SABC funded equipment for the female weight room, a required class for athletes
- Super Achieving Spartans Workshops: Helped fund workshops with PTO so high achiever juniors have access to certified educational consultants who will assist with resume formation, college essay and interview preparation, and provide guidance through the college planning and application process
- Music: Computer for creating piano arrangements
- Entrepreneurship Class: $1500 loan to transform the Plato Lab into an all-natural smoothie bar to simulate operating a day-to-day small business
Teacher Grants Approved - Spring 2015
April 2015 - FONS is pleased to award funding for the following grant applicants. FONS thanks our faculty for taking the extra time to enhance the educational opportunities at NSCHS.
- Web and Digital Design Pathway: 3 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 digital SLR w/18-55mm STM lens with memory card and bag so students are using industry relevant equipment and spending less time on equipment problems
- Media Center: 3 new tables and 12 chairs for the continuing renovation of the Media Center
- Math: 30 graphing calculators for students who cannot afford calculators to check out from the Media Center
- Social Studies: Teacher Affiliate Membership in American Psychology Association for Ms. Kaminsky to access unit lesson plans and the American Psychologist magazine, monitor other publications and get reduced rate on books and journals
Teacher Grants Approved - Fall 2014
- Architecture, Construction and Design Club: Tools and equipment to start introducing students to these careers. In addition, an outside grant request was completed by FONS for more tools and equipment.
- Broadcasting: 4 video cameras to film events around the school and create class assignments.
- CTE Health Science Career: 30 study books on different health science careers including college text books, so students can participate in individual study and perform well in HOSA competitions.
- Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies: A set of 34 Student Response Clickers for each department to use during assessments and for immediate feedback.
- Oracle: 3 digital cameras for more website pictures and students learn to take news photos.
- Social Studies: AP Human Geography Review Guides to improve student performance on the AP exam.
- Social Studies: “Forty Studies that Changed Psychology” books (20) that can be checked out to improve students’ understanding of psychology research results and methodologies.
- Social Studies: “Strive for a 5” books (20) that accompany a new textbook (but were not provided by the county) to improve student performance on the AP exam.
- Visual and Performing Arts: A master keyboard for use during productions, teaching and practice.
- World Languages: 25 sets of Rhymes and Rhythms for Learning Chinese (3 books) to improve students’ pronunciation of Chinese and grasp of grammar structures.
Teacher Grants Approved - Spring 2014
May 2014 - FONS is pleased to award funding for the following grant applicants. FONS thanks our faculty for taking the extra time to enhance the educational opportunities at NSCHS:
- Social Studies: 2 sets of All In Clicker Response System
- Humanities: Printer, cameras, and cases for Yearbook
- Math/Science: Raspberry Pi Robots
- AP Psychology: updated text and resource materials
- AP Government: updated resource materials and online access
- All departments: ALL In Clicker Response Systems
- Yearbook: new technology for design and layout
- Visual Arts: 5 - 35mm Cameras